Friday, August 12, 2011

Scrap Wood Sign

I had this song running through my head one day.

This is your time
This is your dance
Live every moment
Leave nothing to chance
Swim in the Sea
Drink of the Deep
Embrace the Mystery of all you can be.

It inspired me to create a piece of art work for the bunk room in the cottage.
I started out with some random pieces of scrap wood. 
I cut some of them down a bit and sanded the rough edges.
Using some craft paints I already had,
 I painted each board allowing the woodgrain to show through.
The colors I chose were intentional. 
 With chalk I wrote the lyrics out, freehand.
I painted directly over the chalk with this white enamel paint. 
"E" for Enamel. 
It gave it a little bit of a glossy look that I really liked. I added a little brown paint to make it look "worn."
I screwed in eye hooks at the top. And tied some white rope at each end.
 My scrap wood sign is a gentle reminder to my kids to 
"live every moment" and "drink in the deep." Ahh summer!

6 comments:

  1. I love the colours and the message! I wonder if I could work this somehow in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love, love!

    kiki
    www.kikicreates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute project & idea! It came out really adorable. Visiting from 30 Handmade Days :)

    Linda
    http://lasteve1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chessa- Another fab project! I absolutely LOVE the bright colors and I must say I'm jealous of your handwriting! =) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! The colors, the message... so cute and it works so well with the room and the beds! I'm your newest follower! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your creativity in making something beautiful out of what others might consider scraps! Your scrap wood sign is a true work of art. I also liked the Song you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...