Thursday, March 8, 2012

Applique Tote Bag

I've shared other applique projects with you in the past, so here I am once again.
 I need to express how easy this is! And I want to encourage you to try it! 
I found this cute bag at Hobby Lobby (they have other styles and colors too).
I picked up 3/8th yard of coordinating duck fabric (also Hobby Lobby).
I traced around a chipboard letter (backwards)...
and before cutting it out I ironed on the applique adhesive 
(like Heat n' Bond-found at Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's). Then I cut my letter out.
I grabbed this lid and traced around it for my circle. Ironed on the applique adhesive. 
Then cut the circle out.
First I ironed the circle on and then the K on top of it.
I used a zig-zag stitch in contrasting thread (teal in this case) and sewed around the edge of the circle. Then using a straight stitch (with black tread this time) I sewed around the K.
I filled the bag with new markers, drawing paper, fun paper clips and binder clips, a pad of small scrapbook paper,  a clipboard and tape (this girl loves using tape!)
We were away from home the weekend of Katelyn's birthday, 
so we had our own little celebration in our hotel room.
She really does love her new bag! She's been carrying it everywhere, so that makes me pretty happy!

5 comments:

  1. Adorable bag! I would love to carry that around and I am 24 years old! Ha. :) Great job, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This project might actually get me to dust off the sewing machine; the stitching is super cute! Love the black & white stripes with the bold bright colors! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am following your blog regularly and got great information. I really like the tips you have given. Thanks a lot for sharing. Will be referring a lot of friends about this. Keep blogging creative gift packaging

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too cute - I would love to invite you to link up at my "Get Inspired" Monday blog party. I just now opened it up a bit early.

    Anyway, I just stumbled upon your blog on a google search for something and love it!

    -pamela

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...