Thursday, April 12, 2012

Rolled Fabric Flowers

After a couple of years of sewing, I've found that I have lots of cute fabric swatches. 
And if I don't want to end up like my mom (who needs a storage unit for all her extra fabric!)
 It was time to get busy creating a use for it.
I went a little nuts... I think I have a flower for any and every occasion.
Don't they go great with my newly painted nails?!
Want to make some? Here's what you need to get started. 
A strip of scrap fabric (mine are generally 2" wide and 34" long-but really any size will do). 
If you going to make them for your flip flops, you'll want to cut two strip of the same size and length.
Start by tying a knot at the end of your fabric.
With the hot glue gun in hand put a little on the knot and 
start wrapping the fabric around the knot (gluing all along the way).
You'll start to create a little rosette center.
Continue to wrap the fabric around using the hot glue all along the way.
I sometimes twist my fabric all the way around. This creates that tattered look.
I also continue to press the center down so that the flower is nice and flat.
When you get close to the end of your fabric 
you'll what to take the "tail" and adhere it to the back of the flower.
Like this:
Don't worry if the back of your flower looks a little messy, you'll be covering it up with felt.
You can use any color felt (the cheap little squares work just fine) 
and cut out a circle the size of your flower.
Add some hot glue.
And adhere it to your flower.
I add a hair clip and a pin to the back of each flower.
So what to do with all these cute rolled flowers? Here's a couple ideas:
Jazz up a plain pair of flip-flops.
I added some to my beach hat.
Added a couple more to my new beach bag.
 The clip makes it really easy to slide onto a headband.
Or simply as a hair clip.
 I love the embellishment on a hat!
Or a couple on a jacket.
I'd love to what you do with yours!

4 comments:

  1. Good to know I'm not the only one who has gone nuts making those! They are so fun to make! :)

    Love the color on your toes - what color is it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute project! My mom and your mom must be from the same mold! She has tons of fabric too! I love all the different ways you used them! If only my boys would let me jazz up their hair! Ha! =) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the loveley comment on Heron's crafts! I love these flowers they are so cute and now that I have a glue gun they are on my to do list! Definitly pinning this! Thanks and have a great day!
    Rebecca @ heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...