Friday, April 27, 2012

French Memo Board

A very special girl turned 9 just the other day. 

Her parents redecorated her room for the big day. I was honored to be a part of the process and helped with some painting, sewing and crafting up a couple accessories like this memo board.
This project is so easy and I'm going to show you how I did it! I started with the following supplies:
 4-pack of Cork Tiles (found at JoAnn's)
 Gross-grain ribbon, buttons, fabric scraps (enough to wrap around the cork)
 Start by cutting 4 pieces of coordinating 13 x 13 squares of fabric.
 Cutting 4 pieces of batting into 12 x 12 squares.
 Layer the fabric, batting and cork.
 Flip upside down so the fabric is on the bottom now.
 Add hot glue around the edges...
 Fold the fabric over the hot glue (quickly before it dries!)
 Fold the corners so that its nice and tight.
 Do this for all four cork tiles.
 The next step is adding the ribbon. 
You'll want to get out your tape measure now and mark 6" down on each side.
 With a little dap of hot glue I adhered the ribbon like this. 
I forgot to take a picture of my next step, but basically 
I added more ribbon around each corner so that it looks like this.
At every point where the ribbon meets (except on the edges)
I sewed on a button (using some thick thread and a sturdy needle).
The cork tiles came with sticky adhesives. 
I used them to attach the cork tiles to a large piece of cardboard.
 And then I used a couple of those great 3M sticky tabs and attached them to the top of my cardboard.
 After hanging it on the wall I realized that I could have used two more at the bottom as well.
The four fabrics coordinate with some throw pillows we made for the bed and her window treatment.
The birthday girl at her newly refinished desk! 
(I also made her the calendar blocks that you see pictured behind her).
Kate and I and after a day of sewing and some shots of the newly redecorated room. 
Happy Birthday Eden!

3 comments:

  1. Great project! I like the idea of just using the cork tiles. I've done it with a piece of plywood and batting but this looks so much more manageable! And easier to change up the fabrics! I love the colors too! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute project! I would love for you to share this with my "Unveil Your Genius" link party (new party every Thursday).
    http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/04/unveil-your-genius-link-party-8.html

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great project! I love your fabric choices. Would you consider linking it up to my Pinworthy Projects Linky Party over at Just Us Four?

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...