Friday, May 29, 2015

DIY Orb Chandelier

Y'all, this may be the best DIY to date!
The Orb Chandelier!
Not only does it look great, the time and money I spent was so minimal! 
I had admired similiar chandeliers in catalogs.
                             For something about the same size at Ballard Designs would cost $399!
I found my metal Orb at Target in the garden section. 
The large was $39.00 and the small was $29.99, 
but I just happened to grab it when it was on sale! Score for me!
This is what we had hanging in the foyer and hallway of our house. 
I'm sure it was installed by the builder back in the 80's and it was time for it to go!
I took the chandelier down (after I turned off the power!) and took it all apart. 
The only thing I didn't keep was the glass surrounding the lights.
I cover the electrical part of the light to protect it from the overspray of paint and set it aside while I worked on drilling a hole in the metal garden orb.
I used these glass and tile drill bits that I already owned.
 I started out with the smallest bit. Slow and Steady.
Then I pulled out the biggest bit I owned to create a large hole. 
I needed something that would allow me to fit parts of the previous light fixture through the hole.
This next part is a little hard for me to explain, so I tried to take pictures along the way. 
Basically I put the whole light fixture back together (minus the glass casing).
Here comes the fun part, spray painting the whole thing.
Do you like my special "technique" of hanging it in the tree?!
I sprayed it several times, 30-45 minutes in between each coat.
I used Rusteoum Oil Rubbed Bronze.
I brought it back inside. Connected all the electric wires, added the light bulbs and then some crystals.
You could order some crystals (3 of them) for $35 OR you could buy them at Hobby Lobby
(and use a coupon) and get double the amount for less money!
I just love this extra touch these crystals add!
I love the way it turned out. It's totally chic. 
Way better then what we had before. 
It really was an easy project with a great impact.
I have a large one in my foyer and a smaller one in the upstairs hallway. 
It's got to be one of my favorite things I've ever upcycled!

6 comments:

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...