Wednesday, February 26, 2014

DIY Mirrored Nightstand IKEA Rast Hack

I have admired mirrored furniture for a long time. I finally had to take a stab at "doing it myself!"
I love the height of these tables and all the storage in the drawers 
(currently I think some of the drawers are still empty! What does one put in drawers beside the bed?)
 I am absolutely in L O V E !!! 
 The family and I made a day of it at IKEA to purchase two of these RAST dressers, $30.00
(perfect bedside table size!)
 I put both dressers together in less than 30 minutes (and no extra pieces either!)
I went to work (along with the help of my brother-in-law) adding trim to each drawer front. 
I used this .25 x 1.5" Lattice for the trim around the drawers and sides (and again on the top piece).
I painted the entire dresser white after sinking the nails and puttying the holes.
The next part was by far the trickiest and most time consuming. Instead of having mirrored glass cut 
(I priced it out and it was way to expensive for my taste and this project), 
I decided to make my own antiqued mirror fronts using the same technique that I did here.
I had the glass cut to size and then spray painted one side with my mercury glass finish.
Ok I lied. The next step was the trickiest! Drilling holes through glass!!! My husband and I read a bunch of tutorials and then used some scrap glass to practice on. Our first two attempts we ended up breaking the glass right before we drilled all the way through.
 Our third practice piece was a success! And the rest is history! The knobs are from Hobby Lobby.
 I drilled a couple large holes in the backs of the drawers for storage like this!
After much debate and a returned board, I went with this Pine-Edge glued panel for the top.
I trimmed it out with the same lattice I used on the drawers.
It looks great with a couple coats of paint. I may end up getting a piece of clear glass cut for the top.
But for now I'm pretty thrilled with the outcome.
We used a piece of "fancy" trim for the bottom and the sides.
If you're planning to do the same thing, you really can use just about anything.
Be warned, mitering edges is so NOT fun! But we did it!
I haven't been this happy with something since the Rustic Farm House Table!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I'm envisioning the direction we are going with our bedroom and may not use exactly these dressers but this gives me all sorts of inspiration! Are the holes in the backs of the drawers to run your device charging cables through? I was not very clear on that but otherwise. ...perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the holes in the back of the drawers are for devices.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog!! im following right now!! I dont wanna miss anything!!
    Besos from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have a suggestion for another material in lieu of glass? drilling through glass makes me a bit nervous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use wallpaper, or paint the drawer fronts a different color. I was leary of drilling through glass, but we did a couple test pieces and it really was pretty easy!

      Delete
    2. And instead of glass, do you think we could use plastic and paint with the Krylon spray Looking Glass ?

      Delete
  4. How did you attach the glass to the wood?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the result !! I am french and I am not sure I understood everything. Did you paint all the nightstand in white before sticking the glass? (I am not sure). Is it you who cut the glass? (Is it expensive to buy?). I would want to make the same thing, but I want to be sure to have understood well.

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...