Friday, January 20, 2012

Personalized Door Mat

This project has been on my list of things to do and I finally got around to it!
A good way to Welcome in the New Year.
I started out with this rug from IKEA (it was less than $5.00!)
And then I made a little trip to my personal paint store (under the stairs in my basement).
 White I was down there I found some black satin finish paint.
 I cut out a large "M" and used masking tape to adhere to the rug as my stencil.
 Using a small brush I went around the edge to create a nice clean line around the inside of the stencil.
 Here's how it looked before I filled it in.
At this point I figured out something that I did not like... This "M" looks a lot like the "M" logo for the University of Michigan. The blood in this house is Illini orange and blue. We can not have this! 
So... I looked around the basement and found a nice circle and went to work to on another design.
 I used a sharpie and traced the outside of the dart board
 to make a border for a large circle in the center of the door mat.
 I proceeded to fill in the large with more of the black paint. 
And then back to my store to find another color for my next step.
 Again, I created a large stencil. This time just a nice scrolly "M"
 Filled in my my new paint color.
And here I have my new personalized door mat!
I love it! So far it's been out in the rain and the snow and it's still looking pretty good!

10 comments:

  1. I love the black and aqua/teal color you choose for the "M". It really makes it pop against the black! Did you handcut the stencil or did you use a cutting machine? Just curious! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my Silhouette to cut both stencils. But I had to do it in two pieces. I think it would be just as easy to create it on your own. With contact paper even.

      Delete
  2. WOW! I'd love to have you link this up to my party at http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2012/01/anything-goes-linky-party_19.html. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the big circle! I made a monogrammed doormat two years ago and the paint has just about completely worn off...time for me to paint a big circle on mine I guess:) Stopping by from TT&J. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I love the color! I hope you stop by my party and link up…
    www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chessa, I was given my first blog award today and I love your blog so much that I'm passing it on to you!

    Check it out here & pass it on: http://cathhasablog.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-very-first-blog-award.html

    Big Hug, Cath from 'Home is Where my Heart is'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those two colors together!
    Shiloh
    everydaygameplan.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most individuals prefer branded doormats than plain mats solely to create brand awareness, though will in some instance’s corporate will request for plain mats because of the costs involved in branded mats. branded mats

    Therefore, plain mats will have a single use of cleaning after people’s feet.

    Branded doormats are despite their advertising nature they serve as dirt trapper mats and protection of the floor underneath the mat.

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...