Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pinkalicous

It's so fun to make dresses for my girls-especially summer dresses! My latest creation I like to call "Pinkalicous." Don't you just love the yummy colors of the fabric?!
I made the dress with out a pattern. 
My first try at doing anything like this!
This is the dress that inspired me:
The back of the inspiration dress:
The back of my dress has no button or a tie. 
Should I add a tie?
 I'm so proud of myself for matching up the stripes!
 It's such a nice completed look.
 The bottom of the inspiration dress has a cute ruffle.
I found this great pleated grosgrain trim.
It was so easy to add to the bottom of the dress!
If you're interested, here's how I did it:
I bought 2 yards of fabric, folded it in half so the stripes were going vertical 
and then laid my inspiration dress right on top.
 I cut about 1" around the bottom half of the dress (just the skirt).
 And then I cut out the top part of the dress (just the bodice). 
 I folded the bodice in half and cut around to make sure I had equal proportions.
Then I pinned the right sides of the bodice together and sewed up the sides.
After pinning the right sides of the skirt together. I sewed up the sides.
The next step is to pin the skirt to the bodice. 
In this case I had to match up the stripe pattern for a seamless look.
I added the grosgrain ruffle to the bottom of the dress
 When sewing the ruffle at the neckline, 
I decided to sew it right down the middle... 
 And cut at the basting line like this:
 And I got this look!
I made my own bias tape sewed around the arm holes and the back of the neckline. 
You can see here how it's also used as the ties.
Here she is, Pinkalicous!



 Are we done yet?

5 comments:

  1. What a pretty dress, pink and red are one of my favourite combinations. Looks so sweet.
    Dannyelle from www.lifeisaparty.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet summer dress! And great tutorial! I love it! I'm bookmarking this one!

    I would love to have you share this at my For the Kids link party! Come join the fun! I have lots of girly tutorials there too! Love to have you check them out :)

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/05/for-kids-friday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the trim! Great job matching up the strips. I would at a little tie, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...